Many crypto enthusiasts will tell you that there is nothing more important than having a reliable Bitcoin wallet if you plan to make a long-term investment in the biggest cryptocurrency out there. Over the years, we had a plethora of different companies, individual developers, and whole communities trying to release their version of the best wallet.
The crypto-Bitcoin community is blessed with a variety of choices and an abundance of security options offered by multiple types of wallets. You may choose to use a hardware device that will store all the necessary data and allow you to use your coins whenever you want even at physical retail locations. Many believe that using software wallets is a better idea due to the inherent flexibility of desktop applications.
What is a universal crypto wallet?
Bitcoin is the “founding father” of the crypto industry, but it is not the only crypto digital asset available to investors. Many users have different opinions about the future of crypto and the potential of various coins. While many projects that attached themselves to DeFi (Decentralized Finance) and blockchain failed, many networks are still going strong.
Retail traders and conservative investors have a wide range of financial instruments that should be stored securely. If you only needed one specific BTC wallet before, an advanced crypto user has to seek wallets capable of storing a variety of different coins effortlessly.
A wallet that can hold various tokens and NFTs is considered a universal application. Such wallets usually have to forfeit some security features to maintain flexibility and performance, but they are still quite good for investors.
There are several tips on using crypto wallets in general:
- Make sure to have multiple addresses for each blockchain network. One must be used as an off-grid storage while others can be used to interact with other users on the network. This way you will always have a protected place to store your coins and won’t be vulnerable to various on-net attacks.
- Do not seek wallets that have overcomplicated functionality. Remember that a good application must provide an excellent user experience which includes having an intuitive interface and high performance. Consider choosing apps and devices that are highly rated by actual users.
- Never use your wallet on compromised devices that may be vulnerable to various cyber-attacks. For example, any device that can connect to public WiFi networks should be considered unsafe. Even the most secure digital wallet will be in danger if it is exposed to external risks.
How do we rate wallets on our list?
This particular article is not an article where we pit different types of wallets against each other. We listed our top picks in no particular order focusing on multiple important factors that determine the ease of use and safety of users.
Here are these factors:
- Convenience. Only apps that provide a reasonable level of user experience were selected for this list. We do not like when apps have confusing interfaces, complicated navigation, and an overabundance of options. A clean interface and an easily understandable workflow are highly important.
- Compatibility. A good wallet should be accessible across multiple platforms including personal PCs powered by Windows, Linux, or MacOS. We also like applications that can be used on laptops and handheld devices just as easily.
- Security. The crypto industry is infamous for its many safety issues. While many scandalous stories usually involve some level of fraudulent activity or incredible oversights, users are at fault too. We choose wallets that do not allow their users to make crucial mistakes and offer a wide range of security features like 2FA and more.
- Flexibility. Since users of crypto want to effortlessly work with various DeFi platforms and exchanges, it is important that their wallets can be connected to these services and digital products. We don’t expect wallets to be integrated with every single CEX platform out there, but they must be compatible with a lot of services and products.
- Design and manufacturing. When it comes to choosing a Bitcoin hardware wallet, we believe that a good device must be well-designed and built. It must be easy to use and provide a sense of pride to its owner. Nano Ledger X and Trezor are two great examples of such devices. They are not only wallets but also stylish accessories.
Our selection of coin wallets is made of products that check all the boxes and provide a good experience to their users. We believe that you can use any of our suggested options and be happy with your choice after using it extensively.
The best crypto hardware wallet
The story of hardware wallets started with Ledger, a company based in France that decided to make its mission to create a good offline cold storage that could be used as a portable handheld device for cryptocurrencies. The first iteration of the device was announced in 2014. Just recently, the company unveiled its latest model called Ledger Nano X.
This is a great wallet that looks stylish and has just enough utility to make it easy to conduct business using Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. It can be used to purchase goods at physical retail locations, finalize deals, sign digital documents, and store your tokens safely. Since it is not connected to the internet, it is also a cold storage.
The device can be connected to a laptop via a USB connection. It can also connect to other devices through Bluetooth. The number of different digital assets that can be stored on the device is over 55 hundred and new financial instruments are added to the list regularly. A small live interface is a great addition that makes managing cryptos much easier.
All of the above makes this device highly flexible and useful for any serious crypto investor. The fact that it works as cold storage also gives owners a good reason to appreciate it. The first advice that any newcomer to the crypto industry receives is to have all your tokens offline to ensure that no one can gain access to your assets.
Advantages of Ledger Nano X:
- This device is a great choice for people who care about their status and want to use crypto regularly.
- You can use it as cold storage and completely protect your savings from external threats.
- The design of the product is aesthetically appealing.
Disadvantages of Ledger Nano X:
- It can be quite tricky to learn how to use it well when you need to manage multiple currencies.
- The price is quite high and may scare away novices.
The most private Bitcoin wallet
If you are looking for a small yet powerful portable wallet that can be used as an impenetrable fortress, Trezor Model T is the right choice. This product was designed by the Trezor company and allows users to hold their tokens safely while providing access to several popular crypto exchanges. By working with Changelly and CoinSwitch, the wallet makes it easy for all users to quickly swap tokens and make purchases without any additional hassles.
The latest, most advanced model comes with a small touch screen that displays just enough information to allow for smooth navigation and cryptocurrency management. You can expand the data volume available to you with a MicroSD card. It is a good idea if you want to download some ledgers fully which may take gigabytes of data.
Use additional security features like setting a PIN code and “flight” mode to ensure that your device is fully protected from unauthorized access. It is also worth mentioning that the wallet provided complete protection from all kinds of attacks and prevents any data leaks making it the most private and secure wallet out there.
These qualities make this particular wallet look great, but it is not as flexible as Ledger Nano X. Trezor supports just 14 cryptocurrencies, does not allow for any tokens except ERC20 (Ethereum-based tokens), and offers little flexibility to its users. You may expand the number of supported assets by using a different interface, but it considerably reduces the level of security.
Advantages of Trezor Model T:
- The touchscreen is big enough to see the information about your crypto.
- It is the safest option if you are serious about protecting crypto assets.
Disadvantages of Trezor Model T:
- The device is quite expensive and costs over $210 before shipping.
- It is not as flexible as its main competitor in the market and natively supports only 14 coins.
- The design is not as flashy and polished as in Ledger Nano.
The choice of early adopters
Electrum is certainly one of the best Bitcoin wallets. It was created during the initial stages of the cryptocurrency industry development. It has been around since 2012 and continues to add new features. It is considered one of the most popular and widely used BTC wallets out there. The great thing about this advanced app is that it is completely free and you won’t need to search for the cheapest crypto wallet fees anymore.
The good thing about Electrum is that it is easy to learn yet hard to master. Many believe that it is the best choice for both beginners and veterans thanks to its abundance of features. The complexity is hidden from new users to ensure that everyone has a good experience and does not feel overwhelmed with the interface and its many buttons.
In terms of security, this option is also quite nice. You may select the level of safety when operating your portfolio. Users who want nothing but speed will enjoy the ability to just use the standard wallet that does not have any additional safety features. However, you may also set up two-factor authentication and even use multi-signature authentication.
This is a solid entry in our list of top Bitcoin wallets. If you are interested in having a flexible application that also provides all essential functions like cold storage, 2FA, and switching between Segwit and Bitcoin, you should check this wallet out.
Advantages of Electrum:
- The app is the oldest iteration of an open-source cryptocurrency wallet that continues to improve.
- The complexity of its functionality makes it an ideal choice for an experienced user.
- The application is free and does not have any hidden fees or commissions. It is the best Bitcoin wallet with the lowest fees.
Disadvantages of Electrum:
- Many think that the complexity of the wallet is something that should not be there to ensure that new users don’t use something they don’t understand.
- The wallet is not as flexible as some other software solutions. It is not the best choice for active retail traders.
A fancy and stylish wallet that supports many coins
Among multiple crypto wallets, Jaxx Wallet stands out thanks to its long list of unique features like an advanced portfolio dashboard, customizable charts, and compatibility with any contemporary browser. Jaxx has been around for a long time. It is a wallet that many remember fondly and use regularly. Thanks to its appealing visual interface and intuitive navigation, it is certainly one of the most convenient apps out there.
The app is multifunctional in the best sense of the word. You will be able to view your portfolio, break down cryptocurrency data, and even receive the latest news provided by specialized news outlets. It is a good choice for retail traders who want to work with multiple CEX platforms and have their assets ready for transaction at any moment.
The current list of supported cryptocurrencies contains over 80 entries, but it is expanding with more and more new tokens being added to the pool of available coins. Jaxx can be easily integrated with Chrome and Firefox.
Advantages of Jaxx Wallet:
- The interface looks nice and polished. It also provides a lot of useful information.
- In terms of safety wallets, it is quite good and offers a wide range of security features.
- The wallet is free and can be used by newcomers without any additional payments.
Disadvantages of Jaxx Wallet:
- Some believe that having so much information is unnecessary in a wallet.
- The application has some vulnerabilities that some experts pointed out in their reviews.
Exodus is a fine choice for everyone
While people do not consider it to be the most secure digital wallet, it is certainly one of the most versatile in the market. Exodus offers its users a plethora of interesting features including the quick swap between a variety of digital assets thanks to its in-built exchange functionality. Since the list of supported cryptocurrencies exceeds 250 entries, you can use it to trade tokens without using a centralized exchange.
Some think that high commissions prevent it from being one of the most popular options for traders, but convenience is a huge attraction for casual users and people who engage with the crypto market only occasionally.
The interface is clean and provides just enough information to make good decisions about transactions and long-term investments. The focus on user experience makes this wallet a great choice for newcomers and people with little exposure to the cryptocurrency domain.
One of the biggest concerns that many experts and Bitcoin enthusiasts have regarding Exodus is that it is a closed-source product developed by a private company. It means that there could be some security issues and vulnerabilities that may compromise your portfolio. Up until now, there has not been a single issue with it, but many experts still do not like the idea of having a privately developed app for blockchain.
Advantages of Exodus:
- The wallet supports over two hundred different digital assets.
- It is a good choice for novices and people who want to trade actively.
- You will find the flexibility of the app quite appealing.
Disadvantages of Exodus:
- The closed-source approach to development is something that makes crypto enthusiasts nervous.
- Commissions for in-app swaps are quite high and make using them expensive.
Perfect for mobile users
Mycelium is an app designed exclusively for mobile devices. It can be used to store Bitcoin, Ethereum, and all types of ERC20 tokens including NFTs. The user interface is designed according to the latest trends in mobile development and the in-app exchange is a convenient way for newer users to quickly swap digital tokens without using a centralized exchange.
Mycelium can be used as a third-party interface for several models of hardware wallets making it a convenient app for people who prefer using hardware wallets and want to have a clean interface to manage their digital assets.
We cannot state that this app has strong security, advanced functionality, or flexibility, but it is certainly one of the best apps for mobile devices. Novices will find it quite user-friendly. Veterans will likely ignore it, but Mycelium does not try to cater to retail traders and experienced crypto investors.
Advantages of Mycelium:
- A good closed-source mobile app for people who cannot live without their phones.
- The interface is simple yet rich with features and information panels.
- You can use it to interact with mainstream coins and all ERC-20 tokens.
Disadvantages of Mycelium:
- The product is only available to smartphone users.
- Commissions for swaps can be quite expensive.
Which wallet should you choose?
It is never a bad idea to have multiple crypto wallets to ensure that your portfolio is flexible and readily available. Having a hardware wallet is a plus, but it is not necessary. Some very successful crypto investors use other means for cold storage. In general, you want an option for your cold wallet to store your long-term digital assets and something functional to use on a day-to-day basis.
We strongly believe that all entries in our list of top Bitcoin wallets can be used to great success. However, it does not mean that you can rely on these wallets to keep your coins safe. Use all available security features and do not use compromised devices to run your digital wallets.
Lastly, we cannot stress enough how important it is to use an app or a device that you feel comfortable with. If you cannot use the full extent of features offered by an app, you should consider something else. Electrum may be the most complicated and secure, but novices will enjoy using something like Mycelium much more.
Make your choice based on your personal preferences and the current portfolio. Remember that you may want to expand your portfolio with exotic digital assets in the future. If you plan to use new tokens and assets, consider choosing wallets that support a large number of coins. People who want to hold Bitcoin for the foreseeable future may want to use something specialized and safe.
The main takeaway
Making the right choice can be quite hard considering the abundance of options in the market. We made this list of reliable digital and hardware wallets to reduce the scope of the search to a reasonable number of really good variants. Use any coin wallet in our list confidently. These are community-tested products that provide great value.